Skip to main content

Table 1 Design scenarios for a nationwide mobility service guarantee – public transport parameters

From: A nationwide mobility service guarantee for Austria: possible design scenarios and implications

Scenario “No MSG” “All regions aboard” “Focus active mobility” “Focus car-pooling “ “Goodbye private car” “Questionable utopia”
PT quality improvement No improvement Only in undersupplied rural areas Only in undersupplied rural areas Only in undersupplied rural areas In all areas (rural and urban) In all areas (rural and urban)
PT timetable Different for school days Same on all weekdays Same on all weekdays Same on all weekdays Same on all weekdays and weekend Same on all weekdays and weekend
PT spatial coverage 85% PT lines (on school days) 85% PT lines 13% DRT (total 98% inhab.; 100% ASA) 85% PT lines 13% DRT (total 98% inhab.; 100% ASA) 85% PT lines 6% DRT (total 91% inhab.; 94% ASA) 98% PT lines 2% DRT (100% inhab.) 98% PT lines 2% DRT (100% inhab.)
PT operating hours (guarantee) (No guarantee) 6 a.m.–8 p.m 06 a.m.–10 p.m. 6 a.m.–10 p.m 6 a.m.–11 p.m.  24/7
Peak hours 6 a.m.–9 a.m. & 3 p.m.–6 p.m 6 a.m.–6 p.m 6 a.m.–6 p.m 6 a.m.–6 p.m  6 a.m.–8 p.m.
Urban area1  
Max. distance to bus 300 m
Max. distance to train 1,250 m
Min. interva2 15 min/30 min 10 min/30 min
Rural area  
Max. distance to bus 500 m 300 m
Max. distance to train 1,250 m 1,250 m
Max. distance to DRT1 300 m 300 m/door-to-door Door-to-door
Min. interval1 210 min 120 min/210 min 60 min/120 min 30 min/60 min
PT tariff 22% seasonal ticket 22% seasonal ticket 50% seasonal ticket 70% seasonal ticket Free PT
  1. 1Classification according to urban-rural-typology of Statistik Austria https://www.statistik.at/wcm/idc/idcplg?IdcService=GET_PDF_FILE&dDocName=108332 (Table 1); no DRT in urban areas
  2. 2Peak hours/off-peak